Castle and pond
The castle with its pond and park was built in the first half of the 19th century by Lord Guillaume de Patin.. During the First World War it was totally destroyed. In 1926 it was rebuilt and remained the property of the family Cotteau de Patin until 1952 (during the Second World War it was occupied by numerous German regiments). In 1952, the castle was bought by the municipality. In 1959 it was converted into a town hall. The pond park became accessible to the general public in the 50s.
Together with the piping factory in Wijtschate, the oil beating machine and the brickyard belong to the material heritage of the Dumoulin-family. This progressive family in the field of construction technology was of great importance to the municipality of Langemark-Poelkapelle.
This eclectic corner house in cottage style, belonged to former mayor Dumoulin and was named after his wife, Maria Muyssen.
On the 22nd of July, 1928, the statue of the Sacred Heart was inaugurated on the Market Square in Langemark under great interest. The statue was an initiative of the Sacred Heart Society, which founded Sacred Heart statues in various places in Flanders. This was also the case in Langemark.
This train route originally from the late 19th century was installed to connect Ostend with northern France. The railway was used until 1988. Towards the end only to transport beets.. Now the railway has become an important walking and cycling route.
The Boskasteeel, also popularly known as “the pig farm”, is a rebuilt farm close to the Vrijbos. The farms is recognised as a protected monument.
More information about the material heritage of the municipality? Check out the site of heritage.